Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Normally reading a novel means I either enjoy the story or abondon it half way through, but being in this course has forced to think deeply and appreciate the books for their underlying messages. Geek Love and Nights at the Circus were enjoyable, but for two novel that I cannot say I would read again they have had a great impact on my way of thinking.

As a passenger on a drive up to Edmonton I figured the sensible thing to do would be to pick up a magazine. My choice of paper waste was Cosmopolitan; who can resist headlines like "hottest world cup players" and "steamy summer sex"? Its much more interesting than the repeating half brown farm feilds. Yes, I am justifying my choice.

As I flipped through the overly feminine content I started to compare its messages to the messages in Nights at the Circus and Geek Love. Cosmo focus on how to mask your face, how to look like the aggrandized freaks of hollywood, and how to please a man sexually or otherwise. These are all ideas that Carter and Dun criticised. Women have, however, become more open with their sexual prowness. And, although I do enjoy the sexual liberty that women have, I wonder if it perpetuates the idea of women as sex objects.

So, at the pit stop in Red Deer, I picked up a copy of Maxim. Aside from the hypermasculine pages on working out and cars, men were being taught to get what they want. From career moves to the manipulation of women. This proved for me that our society, however libreated it is, has not moved away from its male centered lifestyle. Women are being taught how to look good for men and to please men sexually, and men are focusing on themselves.

As I spread foundation across my cheeks this morning and my skin imperfections faded away, I thought about my role as a female again. And, as I hurriedly curled my eyelashes and smeared mascara on, I realized the nakedness that I feel without make up. I feel judged without it, like I won't fit in. As I finalized my look with lip gloss, I wondered how long I will perpetuate societal ideal of the female body.

No comments:

Post a Comment